Saturday, August 3, 2013

My front porch.........

When my parents built this house back in the dark ages....1961, my father wanted to save all the money that he could by using a specific technique known to him by the name frugal and by his family as halfass. Most of what my Dad skimped on in the finishings came back to bite him in the butt later on. My Mom referred to it as the baling wire engineering. It's not that I don't appreciate ingenuity when it is truly that, but Dad's way was like Scrooge McDuck......miserly not clever.
before during the clean up stage
The front patio was one of the main bones of contention between them. Mom always wanted to enjoy it and sit out there. Dad wanted to keep it safe and thus the prison gates. When someone came to visit they would have to get through the gates then try to find the doorbell which was an after market addition by the baling wire engineer. Most of the time, because the patio doors from the master bedroom and the living room face in on the patio, we would see someone before they rang the bell. It was always fun to scare the bejusus out of the delivery men. All that was facilitated by a squeak from the prison gates.
after, not only the redo but the moonsoon
Well here is the opening now. No gates. Wide open, welcome to the Casa de Cuckoo.

We put up a Papel Picado banner, shade cloth, throw pillows, bought some plants and an outdoor rug. Reused our outdoor furniture and lamp. Converted the fountain to a flower garden for red petunias and white allysum....that's nature's red and white polka dots. Then we took a yard cart and put all the indoor plants out for the summer. The chimanea was fitted with an electric faux fire, we have solar lights hanging all around and for Lammas, we had our first mini bonfire on our welcoming front porch. I'd like to think that my Mom would be happy with the transformation of someplace where she was only allowed to have a small wrought iron table and two chairs, which got put up in the garage after every time they were used for fear that some evil person would come and steal them. Heaven's NOOOOOO. To a change to an open riot of color and fun.








Still need to refinish the concrete that the old fool painted with house paint.....3 or 4 times. But other than that, the salvaged wood sideboard resplendent with garage sale, thrift store finds, and seasonal falderall give an aire of happy welcome. The fae have houses on the old round table, the extra large turtle stands guard near the fountain flower bed and lavender and cucumbers are bountiful on each side of the gates.


I'd say it shouts, hey come say hello.


15 comments:

  1. It definitely looks welcoming now :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't help but think your mom would love it. You took stark and made it ooze welcome. Well done and very creatively done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful front patio! A joyous riot of colour indeed. Reading your description of your Mom makes me believe she would be very happy with your renovations. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you took down the prison gate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love love love all of it! It's so bright and colorful(adore papel picado)
    My dad was like that about our lawn furniture too, he'd chain it up tight so you couldn't move the damn chairs away from the table!
    Everything looks beautiful and very inviting:)
    Great job !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love every bit of this space! Comfortable and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very definitely a place to come and sit a spell now. Of course I had to smile when I saw your chunk of turquoise; just last week I was lamenting how the huge chunk I gave away before we sold our house to go fulltiming would now look good in our front yard next to our lamppost. C'est la vie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll be right over! I wish. It really is lovely and inviting now. You all did a good job, great collections of things that make for a very welcoming arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its a WONDERFUL makeover. I love your new space. It certainly is inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree...I will be over as soon as possible. I saw many gated patios in Mexico... I always fell in love with the patios that were open and invited me in for a quick photograph...I love all the greenery...and of course of blue cobalt colors.. You have a peace of serenity here...I do wish I could come over. Love you!!! Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  11. it looks wonderful. how sad for your mother that your father was so afraid of 'thieves' that the place was barren of anything enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love everything Oma Linda and so does my mom ;o) I think everything you accomplished looks so inviting, so happy ;o) I know your mom is smiling ;o) I hate to say it, but your dad and my dad are one of the same! Maybe that's why every time you share something, I feel so connected to you! Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful and welcoming! It says "wonderful people live here."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like the perfect place to spend lazy evenings sipping coffee by the fire and telling funny stories.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a warm and welcoming space you have made.

    I also grew up in a thrifty frugal household, I learned how many years carpeting could last and how hard my moher had to work to convince my father it was time to change paint color in a hallway. It was a major undertaking.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.