Friday, September 27, 2013

Autumn calls to me............

Here we are at the crossroads of brrrrr cold and geeez turn on the AC.

photo by Jane Khalife
My family is fond of being on the coolish side and so we all look forward to the cool down of temps. This is the time of year when 33 days before October 31, I just leave the doors open and let the breeze blow all the icky and dark away and let Ms. Autumn do her duty to get the house ready for the season of my heart.

I keep a broom by the door with the head up, I smudge the doors and windows with white sage, I sprinkle salt on the thresholds and banish the negative woolie buggers, welcome all good juju to enter, and partake of the aroma of delicious gingerbread pumpkin raisin cookies baking in the oven.

This little ritual brings me pleasure, security and a warm feeling that I have in fact done my job as Crone of this clan and brought us to the closing of the doors, the warming of the hearth and the darker hours of family drawing closer. The grands are so busy with school and other activities and their Mom, my darling daughter is constantly zooming from one place to another to get them where they need to be. They need, no they want the family hour. It is something that has become a tradition of the house for the grands as well.

Funny, during the spring and summer we are drawn to venture the outside of the house for our family time, but the instant that fall tells us she has come to claim our time, we settle into a whole new routine of being inside. The grands have more desire for sharing of family stories, more need for the fun of candlelight, comfort foods that they have picked out and dinner hour spent together.

Maybe that's why autumn calls to me like the siren of the seasons, because there is more order, more richness of time together, more closeness. Whatever the reason, I am like a moth to a flame when it comes to the crispness of the air, the shortening of the days and the call to gather round the homefires.

Does Autumn call to you? Do you do anything special to get ready for the season?

Until next time, gotta fly, Oma Linda

Easy Peasy Gingerbread Pumpkin Raisin Cookies

1 boxed cake mix Spice or Gingerbread or you can add the spices to a yellow cake mix.
1 small can of pumpkin puree or about 2 1/4 cups applesauce if you prefer
Add: raisins, chocolate chips, nuts, dried fruit whatever your hearts desire
This recipe is simple, it feels like cheating but the cookies are soft and delish....and above all Easy Peasy. I make Easy Peasy Applesauce Cookies with a spice cake mix, raisins and nuts...yum. You can also add 1 can crushed pineapple, shredded coconut, white chocolate chips, 1/2 c oil and nuts and call it Easy Peasy Tropical Cookies......the additions are only limited by your bravery and imagination.

Mix the two together until it the lumps are mixed out. Add your additional ingredients. Drop by tablespoonfuls on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. These cookies don't spread out so you can put them close together. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 10-12 cookies. Cool and viola, the house smells fabulous and you'll be the baking goddess of your home. 

13 comments:

  1. Those cookies sound great. I have to try them. Looking forward to baking this year since I am an old retired lady. Yippee!!!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your images of Autumn and the preparations you make just make me feel warm, cozy and happy. The evenings of Autumn in the home are special with good foods cooking, foods we haven't had since last autumn. I love that your grands are committed to family time...that is most very pleasing!!! Hugs to you and the whole family!! Love ya, BB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fall is also MY favorite time of year. I love the turning leaves, the crisp air and sweaters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For my wee clan fall in the southwest is a time for cleaning. Finally, the heat and humidity of the monsoon season relents and yard/house work calls before the husband's Canadian snowbird relatives desend from the north.
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Autumn for sure calls to me! I just smudged around the house ;o) I forgot to do the downstairs door! Glad I read you blog and I have to sprinkle some salt too ;o) I love coming inside and being cozy ;o) Thanks for the recipe ;o) Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like fall especially after the long hot and, now, dry summer. But I don't like winter so much. It sounds like a great ritual, the airing and cleansing and breathing of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. we dont get much of a fall...in november it cools off a bit.
    I keep the cooler on until it hurts though:)
    the recipe sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, those easy peasy cookies sound so good! I'm going to save this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Linda. From the sounds of things at your house during the Autumn, I have only 1 question ~ could I please come live with you? I love all the things you do in prep for this time of year, and your family love and closeness is wonderful. Even though there is hustle and bustle - there is SO much love. This is my favorite time of the year. It has been a rough year in many ways, but I am going to try to enjoy Autumn and all that comes with it. Thank you for the recipe. The cookies sound yummy! I am going to make them. Love you, Linda. Happy Autumn!!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. The neighbor across the street has put out her fall decorations and for the first time since April we were able to leave the air conditioner off. So nice.

    Will be trying the easy peasy cookies--thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post - we do the airing out of the house, opening all windows and letting that fresh air of Autumn fill the house - we air out the pillows of all couches, chairs, beds and also three mattresses are placed on cover on deck to be refreshed in the Autumn coolness and sunshine sparkle. Every crook n crannie throughout the house is cleaned and then we decorate.....or slowly begin to decorate between Autumn Thanksgiving n Halloween - one decoration replaces another or some combined together. We have a lot of fun and thankyou for the recipe - just reading it and I can already taste the cookies. Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I swear, I really need to come visit you and all my other bloggie buds more often...so much wisdom, laughter, inspiration and fabulous recipes!! LOL Just copied and pasted, ready to copy that yummy cookie recipe. Well, also being the daughter of the Southwest desert, I know what you're talking about, even though you all up in Albuquerque experience cooler weather than down here in ol' El Paso.

    What I love most is that I can now start up the oven again. With the swamp coolers, and the added humidity we now experience, it's almost impossible to do any fun cooking and baking without the house when it heating up to near-heat wave temps, so as you could read on my FB post, I'm back inda kitchen and loving it. Soon I begin my holiday baking and like you, open up those windows and let Fall to her job. Now I need to run up to Sprouts and get me a smudge stick...must release all that negative and even sad energy, and move on to best of the year has to offer.

    Loves ya lots,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the ritual you do this time of year. I do some little rituals myself, though some have changed lately. I love this time of year, as well. I enjoy the coolness, the colors, the fog in the mornings with the deer and turkey walking through the mist. I love the sun, now lower in the sky it seems in the east when it rises, sending rays through the mist and the trees and resting on the reds, yellows, oranges and browns. Thank you for the applesauce cookie recipe, we've got lots and lots of applesauce right now. The trees runnith over with bright red beauties in the yard this year. Bright blessings, Bird

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.