Friday, September 20, 2013

We have another new member of the household......

Yesterday I finally broke the chain on an 11 day cycle of migraine. I am cross eyed as hell but I survived. Back in my 40's I had hormone imbalanced induced migraines. As many as 7 days in a row. I also had Meniere's caused by the same hormone imbalance. When it came to the change.....at the time I wished for hot flashes instead of not having to be prone for an entire day in the dark because I was afraid I would fall down or scream in pain from the agony of the headache.

This whole mess brought with it aura's in my eyes, and a weakness in my neck. Oh hell just add another something to the "getting old is not for sissy's" column on my bucket list.

But I had a really good day yesterday. The best part was when I went to buy myself some lunch.....because I could drive a car again without lasers in my eyeballs (well you know it felt like that). And as I was coming up the street off of a very busy thoroughfare street.....I see this turtle crossing the road. I just knew that if someone came off that road going as fast as they do, they would never see her in time and I was gonna have to view something I wouldn't be able to stomach. So I raced across the intersection, slammed on my breaks, hit the hazard light button, leaped out of the car, scooped up the turtle and jumped back into my car just as this moron in a big truck took the corner on two wheels and raced past me at a very high rate of speed. She would have been a schmoosh in the road for certain. I put her in the foot well on the drivers side and drove home. I think she smiled at me.
photo by examinator.com
I know at some point in her existence she was someone's baby because she is very unaffected by a human's presence. She is very large, very gnawed on, very heavy (she's been eating after this rain), doesn't mind having her head touched and is very LUCKY. She ate some apple, banana, canned dog food and mossied out into the backyard like she owned the joint.

We've named her Darlene the Daring....Lucky for short and I saw her out being wooed by Pig this morning near the windmill. I didn't even think about photos yesterday thus the borrowed one from the web. I was just seeing and enjoying watching a turtle who had not been made road kill and secure in the knowing the good thing I did was gonna bring both of us pleasure.....and from the look of her encounter with Mr. Pig.....more baby turtles. Gotta love those tortuga uhaul trailers......wink, wink.

So welcome to the family Darlene.

And for those who love me and wonder where I ran off to and hid away.....now ya know. Sorry dear ones, I'll be back in contact, sending out packages and being my old abnormal self before you know it. Good thing GK can type as well as she does or else you'd not have had any posts at OBNSS. Yeah for in house cheap labor, eh?

Smooches and squoozes, Oma Linda

18 comments:

  1. Glad you're back in the land of the living - I'm going through a bout of labyrinthitis right now, I feel your pain! Hi Darlene *waves*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grief, BB, you could have been road smoosh too!! But hurray for leaping and grabbing and making a safe getaway!!! Welcome to Miss Darlene, Pig's new main squeeze!! LOL!! what a backyard den of iniquity you've got!!
    I am so so sorry for your horrible pain. Hugs and more hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You certainly did your good deed for the day . . . Lucky Darlene indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you're feeling better. I've never had a migraine but I hear they're dreadful. And welcome to our blogging family, Darlene.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are Wonder Woman!
    What an amazing turtle saving beauty you are!
    Happy you're feeling better my dear!
    It was fate:)

    Hugs to you and GK.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A turtle rescued will bring you many happy hours. They are wonderful pets, especially if they are out of doors and enjoy your yard. Glad your head is feeling better with no lasers or pain. Nice rescue story - have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope that particular tiger falls back to sleep for you soonest! Yea! for rescued turtles. When Turte gets older, & I need to spring for a 40 gal tank I am thinking of adding more walking surface. Right now, s/he has a basking rock close to his light & plenty of swimming room.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow- when you get back to living you are a risk taker!
    I am so glad this story has a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, those nasty ass migraines! As a fellow sufferer, I understand those laser beams in your eyes and the feeling of Athena thundering around in your head trying to be born. Ugh. 11 days? Jeeze Christmas, I'm surprised you were able to leap in and out of the car in one turtle saving bound and didn't end up smooshed yourself!!

    I'm glad Darlene is now safe and sound and her...errr..needs are being well taken care of. ;) Here's to baby turtles in the Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I so feel for you with migraines. I used to think my 4 dayers were rough. Can't imagine 11 days. Mine were also hormone related and thank goodness, I out grew them when I hit menopause. Haven't had one since. I so hope you outgrow yours also.
    I use to brake for turtles also till I moved here. Two lane roads, no shoulders and these roads either go up, down or turn, sometimes all three. It is just too dangerous anymore. Do glad you saved her and she is happy with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oma Linda, I am so sorry about your migraines! My mom use to get them! She would have cold clothes on her head and would sit in dark rooms!
    You are very special to save Darlene! I am sure she will be having a lot fun very soon! LOL!
    Big Hugs,xoxoox

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you were able to save Darlene...I seemed to see dead animals on the road too many times today...hope your head stays pain free...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Darlene is such a Lucky darling, indeed. I think you're both lucky to have come across each other. I bet she did smile at you and that was her present for you. It's so good to read you, my Oma ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do hope you continue to feel better. Just knowing what a good deed you did and being able to watch your new Lucky one ought to help.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brightest blessings, Oma Linda, to you and your family. I'm so happy the migraine broke. Those things are freaking horrid. Especially when they just hang on and on...I hope you will be free of them forever. Darlene is incredibly lucky you came across her when you did. I would have done the same thing. I just can't leave an animal in danger or strayed. I'm so happy she is with her new and loving family. I wonder what Turtle Medicine is sending your way this week. Brightest blessings on this Autumn Equinox, Bird

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy that both you and Darlene are well now!
    On the streets around here we´re rescuing hedgehogs....
    I knew you would appreciate "the VFT situation" this week, YOU can understand what I meant;)
    Take care dearest Oma Linda
    Much love
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  17. On the streets around here, we´re rescuing hedgehogs.....
    Happy to hear that both you and darlene are doing well.
    I had a feeling that YOU would understand "the VFT situation" this week :)
    Take care Dearest Oma Linda
    Much love
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've had Big Mama for 23, 24 years and she still pulls in when I reach down to touch her shell. land turtle are not that skitzy. at least not the ones I've come across. they'll stretch out and let you touch them.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.