Tuesday, November 12, 2013

A new kind of therapy..........

No, it isn't anything that you have done before, unless you're a cardboard hoarder like I am.

Yesterday was a bizarre day here at Casa de Cuckoo. Mondays are normally Shelley's day off and I so look forward to us being able to do something together. Whether that is junking or a special project or just going to have a cup of tea and talk. I know that this is gonna sound rude but, I don't really like to share her with her kids on "our" day together. After all, it was she and I before it was anyone else and us. And when we are one on one, it is just special.

Yesterday, at O dark thirty, her boss texted her and said he needed her to come in and cover a coworkers shift because her kids have strep (yikes). We wouldn't have had the day alone together anyway because the kids were off school, but I was looking forward to some Shelley time. Then I expected that the kids would be here. They decided to go to work with her because they are friends with the boss's kids and they would be there too. So the whole fam damily exited the building.

So I was up early and had the whole day to myself. What to do, what to do? Oh there were things I should have done, there were things that needed to be done and then there were things I'd put off doing for a long time. But none of those called to me. I sat and was quiet and did my meditations for a lot longer than usual. That felt good. I did my stretches on the back porch because I know that it will be too cold to do so soon enough, and that felt good. I checked my email and looked around on the computer but didn't tarry too long, and that felt good.

Still what to do? What should I be totally invested in here at the house? And then it came to me. On our trip, Joe and I had talked about things that haunt us because we ignore them and hope they go away rather than facing them straight on. You know, the kinds of things that are necessary probably only to yourself? So I boldly opened the garage door and stepped out into the chaos that eats my brain every time I go to look for something. I'd say that we are hoarders and I'd be speaking the truth. Especially me.

I have two stores on Etsy, neither of which is open right now but I did used to sell my arting on one and vintage on the other. I used to sell on Ebay. Sold a bunch of stuff on both sites. Bought and made more to sell, sold that. Bought things at the same time and I was going to do some "arting" for myself with it.....uh, not so much. I also got boxes from the postal service so that I wouldn't have to go searching for boxes all the time to send out. I also saved all the boxes that come in that would be useful.

People, I have a box fetish. I see a good looking box and I am butter. I save boxes. I covet boxes. I adore a good box. And they have taken over an entire section of said garage. They are so useful, utilitarian, and addictive.

Now keep in mind, I also have Shelley's moved here and never sorted stuff in the garage plus all of the holiday from hell items I have accumulated in my holidayaholic stupor for the past forty years. So you see why I go out to the freezer or the larder (pantry) with great trepidation and blinders on? I don't want to face the mess that haunts me.

But yesterday, I made a baby step towards recovery. I took every unopened bundle of post office boxes and put them in the back of my car to take back to the post office. I threw 80 percent of the saved boxes into the recycle bin and put it out to the street. Of course there wasn't enough room in the bin for all of them but I have them bundled with twine and will fill up the bin at least two more times.

I was exhausted but felt purged. And I won't look at the fact that I only touched the tip of the iceberg, no I will call the day a success and as soon as I can stand up straight without wincing with pain, charge on again to slay the dragon of hoarding. Today I shall lick my wounds and recharge my batteries.

Today I am listing a bunch of things on Craigslist and going that route so that I don't have to send things out in boxes. If they don't sell, then I will donate them to The Oscar Foundation for their fabulous garage sales to help defray major medical costs for pet owners who can't afford the needed medical attention for their pets.

People, it's a win, win, win for the Olde Bagg.

21 comments:

  1. You sure managed to keep busy on your day off. I'm not familiar with the Oscar Foundation and I'm off to Google it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oscar Foundation is a local organization that helps with med bills. My good friend is the driving force behind the garage sales and it gives me an out for getting rid of things that they can make money on.

      Delete
  2. I will join you at the box-a-holic meetings. Someone has told me I shop not for the STUFF but for the box I get to carry it home in.
    I would have advertised the P.O. boxes on CL. Others do want them and I wonder if the PO will just toss them out (hopefully recycle)
    In the olden days we cold get a box at the grocery any time we wanted. NOT SO any longer! I often have to get creative to find the right size boxes.

    I applaud you taking that brave step towards cardboard reduction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your back and your joints recover quickly.
    We just had our first snow of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good for you. If you haven't used it, missed it, or looked for it for 2 years, I figure it's save to get rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww! good for you..I know what that's like!
    we have a room that's terryfing, lol..
    I'm a collector/hoarder:)
    once in a blue moon I get the bug and sort things out...but it's not often.

    hope you feel better soon my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so great! I am sure that you wouldn't meet the standard for that hoarders show at all. You could get rid of stuff and they just can't. Good for you!!!
    Hugs and Sparkles
    WG

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you! A small start is still a good start. Like that old saying goes: "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." While I don't have a hoard of boxes, I do confess to having a few stashed here and there about the house, waiting for Xmas mailouts and such.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I understand your needing Shelley time. I don't think it's rude. And if it is, then we can be rude together; sometimes, I want my day with my Dad with no one present. No apologies. We deserve a day (or three... I'm greedy ;-)

    Ah, purging therapy. I love how we all have our personal weirdness. I enjoy alphabetizing, color-coding, listing and re-listing, naming files, editing my old journals... and listening to old song while I do it. It leaves me recharged... and very tired when the color-coding involves the closets and kitchen cabinets.

    Lick your wounds, have some tea, and keep on keeping on. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. peas in a pod....you and Ms. Shelley. Not me....willy nilly and I are best buds.

      Delete
  9. Had to laugh at your box addiction. Most boxes I can break down and recycle with no problem. However those handsome, very strong boxes I have gotten lately from Amazon, just beg to be kept. Especially the ones that bring electronics. Maybe next week----

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Mother never had room for clutter with 8 people in a small house, so never got to hoard, collect boxes or stuff. Kinda glad I never did that, because I see so many people with cars parked outside their full garages of junk. Good for you Linda that you took some steps to sort through some of it and I also had never heard of the Oscar Foundation way up here on the Atlantic Coast. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello. My name is Beverly and I'm a box-a-holic. It's been 3 days, 2 hours and 36 minutes since my last box, lol. I love decorative boxes in particular, and I can't resist them... hinged boxes are my favorites. We're not allowed to store them in the gift shop where I work, so lots of them follow me home. I'm also a neat freak, so it's a constant cycle of hoard and purge... sigh. Cudos to you for poking at the box monster... It's about time for me to take another stab at mine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh good for you. I realized with moving, that nearly 30 years of "stuff" accumulates for reasons unknown to the present me but that made perfect sense to the past me. I discovered Freecycle (most major towns have a local group) and gave dozens of things away to people who needed exactly that. "And that felt good." ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahhh... box fetish. Yes... I don't think I had quite so many but we did have ours laying around for a very long time because we were going to use them for something or another after our move. Well, we finally recycled them and used what we needed but I wonder... I just wonder, will I need them again sometime soon and kick myself for not having them anymore. lol Awesome that you cleaned out. I hope your sore joints and bones start feeling better soon. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can add a fetish a day, just you talking of those assorted boxes that you have made me think... ahh boxes, yes... I can put all the legless Barbie dolls, old newspapers, hardened fimo & glass candle jars in them LOL Great idea to purge, I often take the old toys to the local Kindy, books to the aged home, but the REALLY USELESS STUFF... I hoard :) Well done Oma your solution definitely a win Win WIN for all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it's special, the time you have alone with Shelley ;o) Not rude ;o) It's your time ;o) Oma Linda, you should be proud of yourself! You did good young lady ;o) One day at a time ;o) Rest and keep going ;o) Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry about missing your Shelley time; but you took a frown and turned it upside down, and tackled a stress that was keeping pressure on your brain! Good job, BB, and more power to you!! Hugs from me to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a huge step in uncluttering your garage, and targeting the boxes that you are so attached to is a HUGE step! For me it's paper. Oh, I cannot even pass a pad of paper without having to stop and scan, touch and contemplate, "Must I own this?" To which my addictive side says, "Oh hell, do you even need to ask???" and my logical side says, "Mina, don't you remember those stacks of (boxes) of paper already waiting for you at home?" Oh honey, it takes constant discipline, so I say to you, "YOU GO ON WITH YOUR BAD DE-CLUTTERING SELF, GIRL!" I hope you are feeling better and Mr Fibro has been put in his nasty place. Hugs to you sweetie. Mina

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I have had that box collecting habit and took a ton of them to the tip a while back. Of course now I have a bear to send to the US and not a box to send him in. Grrrr.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.