Wednesday, November 27, 2013

It's beginning to smell a lot like Thanksgiving...................

Baking some of the goodies for tomorrow. Yum the smells of the holiday.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday for the food. No duh. All the other holidays for me are mostly visual but this one is so wonderfully tasty. And I don't have to give gifts or wrap or answer the door or go out and play hide and seek or sit by the open pit fire and hope the smoke is attracted to someone else's charm. I get to cook. SM has to work so we will be having Thanksgiving at dinner time.

I love to cook. And turkey day has it's have to's. And I also love to be rule breaker so, after the fiasco of rancid turkey of 2010, we have been having turkey and dressing casserole. Turkey and dressing all combined into one dish.  I mean, it's like the day after leftovers smashed together only......now. It also means I can cheat and make it with chicken and not be scared I am going to taste icky turkey meat again.
bing photo share
I'm making pecan pie cracker candy, Grandma Sue's pumpkin dessert, spiced peaches, cheesy broccoli rice casserole and the turkey breast today. That leaves only making of the dressing casserole, rolls, smashed potatoes, gravy, orange/cranberry/green chile relish (for the adults) and the thing that I hate making because it takes so blessed long but is the best thing on the table and the next day, my sister in law's fruit salad.

When my brother married, we had never heard of this kind of fruit salad. She brought a lovely new piece of her family's take on Thanksgiving with her when she came into our family. And for the last 49 years we have enjoyed her addition. Funny how things in some households are just absolutes and other folks just wing it. How about you? Is there something that is just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without?

The reason that the fruit salad takes so long is because you have to dice, pecans, bananas, apples (2 kinds), red grapes (and no seedless don't work) and big marshmallows cut very small (not the little ones because they don't make it gooey enough) and whip the cream. It is so good and I'm not kidding, it takes all morning to cut up everything. Of course if we didn't want to have tons of left overs because it's so yummy and grey the next day, we wouldn't be spending that much time on the quantity. And yes I did say grey. The bananas react with the whipped cream but oh my it is delish.

So the grands are home from school and whilst the house fills with yummy smells we will work on the arts and crafts of the new Gratefulness tree and have pictures of said tree hopefully this week. I had hopes that we would have snow because I didn't have to get out in it but now I'm excited because our snow is over and we can work outside and decorate our tree (Edison lights and all) which will replace our altar that was taken from us.....but more on that later.

Happy Thanksgiving to those that celebrate it. Be careful if you are going to travel and I'll catch up with you on Monday.

12 comments:

  1. I just gained five pounds reading your post. You've described so many yummies! Take care and have a Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My old auntie, who is gone now for many years, used to make a special "ambrosia" fruit salad that sounds very similar to your sister in law's. I always loved it when she'd bring it to a family feast.

    Thanksgiving blessings to all at your home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew there was a good reason to be allergic to bananas, it's to avoid the grey food... ;o) Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving to you Oma Linda ;o) Many blessings for the entire family ;o) I am so hungry reading your post!! Whipping cream in a salad?? Wow!! I think that's all I would be eating! LOL! I don't think Thanksgiving would be the same, without my mom's cooking! The turkey, the pumpkin pie. There is so much love that goes into everything!!! It all tastes soooooooooooooo good!!
    Big Hugs, oh, I did see your other post from your other blog, I will be answering that soon ;o) xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you have the meal nailed down. That fruit salad does sound yummy. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always heard that there's no such thing as blue food and if you find some in the fridge, to throw it out. Who knew that there IS such a thing as grey food though! Everything sounds delish, Linda. I wish you and yours a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Grandma used to make bread pudding with brown sugar and raisins - Oh my, how I miss that - no one has ever got her technique quite like hers. Happy Thanksgiving Oma to you n yours. We had our Thanksgiving same time last month up here in Canada :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you've been a busy leetle lady!! I won't be doing all that I normally do around this time of year since our family dynamics have transitioned, but I'm still making the "toickey" my grandmother, Machita's, dressing, Andria's green bean casserole and her sweet potato casserole, made my homemade pumpkin pie and apple pie. It's just Letty and me this year and I'm really looking forward to just having one of those lay-back types of celebrations others have told me about!! Hey, I would love to have that relish recipe...sounds fabulous!! Is that the one you told me about that the dude at the Buckhorn "borrowed" from you?

    Have a fun day, my friend, and take care. Love to all.

    xxoo,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Thanksgiving!

    We have traditional (for our family) sides each year. My mother always added orange to the cranberry, and there is green bean casserole WITH fried onions on top, and of course jello, mashed potatoes and gravy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh honey, I am sitting here with a belly full of Thanksgiving delicacies and after reading this post my mouth is watering. What a wonderful feast. And I know made with your special brand of love, it tastes better than it would be if made by anyone else. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your beautiful family, my friend. Mina

    ReplyDelete
  11. I should have known better than to read this post at 9:23pm. Now I'm starving and I want pie. And you know what? I think I will bake some. Or at least some cookies!

    I hope you had a glorious Thanksgiving, my beloved Oma Linda!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.