Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Sunday drive with the Olde Gang......

This weekend, our fair city, offered so many different (and free) events. Dia de Los Muertos has become a really big deal in ABQ. It is really quite an attraction for folks from all over. Yeah for the tourist dollars. And we locals get to partake too. That is if you bring your machete......to fight your way through the throngs of people.

There was the Marigold and Muertos Parade in what is called the 5 points area of the south valley. Marigolds are used in Mexico to decorate the altars to the dearly departed, Muertos. The parade route was only about 2 miles but there was no place to park your car for at least 2 more. Shelley and the grands have good legs and decided to attend. They had a blast. People watching and shopping. They scored on both accounts. No photos....they only had phone cameras and well.....not so much.

The Albuquerque Museum was open for free, the Balloon Fiesta park was hosting the Doggie Dash and Dawdle and the South Broadway Cultural Center had a display of Muertos arte and ofrendas of all kinds. Busy weekend.

Cut to along time ago....many moons and all that jazz, when we were but children ourselves, in our twenties and we would go to friends houses to imbibe Shazams (like a tequila sunrise but with gin and for the life of me I don't remember why gin) and enjoy the company. On our way home, which wasn't all that far, I would look for cops and SM would watch the lights. It's a wonder we weren't a statistic.

Anyway back to yesterday. We are driving in pretty much the same direction on the same main street as when we were on those nights of partying when I hear a siren. I said, "you might need to pull over". To which SM with a very puzzled look on his face said, "Huh?????". I said, "don't you hear the siren?" He said, "no". As the ambulance raced went through the intersection where we were stopped. I started laughing and couldn't stop. SM pulled into the next parking lot entrance and looked at me like I was a loon.

That's when I explained that with my failing eyesight and his failing hearing, we were in the same place we were all those years ago......I can hear um coming but can't see um and he can see um but not hear um. Oh people, getting old isn't for chickens but it also isn't without some smiles along the way.

Anyway, we had a great drive, saw the golden 150 year old cottonwoods in the bosque in all their autumn glory, drove through some neighborhoods that we hadn't been to in years, ate lunch at a new place for us and had a really good conversation and afternoon. We never got as far as the museum or balloon park or cultural center but we had a really great time together. And I'd drink a Shazam to that but I'd have to take a nap nowadays. Cheers anyway.

13 comments:

  1. You two are definitely a matched set. Hehehe. I'm jealous of all the activities in ABQ, I've never been to a DotD event but it's on my bucket list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had a relatively quiet weekend. Even the constant lawn mowing has come to an irregular growl. If I came your direction I think I would prefer the Balloon Rally entertainment.
    I have to laugh as I read about eyesight and hearing. We are i the same boat.
    This morning someone across the river is shooting off what I call canons.
    I ask "Didn't you hear that!" (The dogs and I did.) He gives me a "what?" look.
    And sometimes he hears things I know just are not there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound like you know how to have a good time. We don't celebrate this holiday in Oregon but I'd like to experience it some day. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find Day of the Dead imagery and celebrations fascinating! It is not a tradition up here in Canada at all. But as we get more Mexican people living here, it may become so! We luuuuuuv multiculturalism!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You definitely complement each other. Keep those bonds tight. Sounds like an interesting event and I would have enjoyed the Doggie Dash. .

    ReplyDelete
  6. The moment when you start laughing and Sweet Man asks what's going on can be such an amazing short story. Life happens and things find their balance anyway they can. It isn't always awesome, but we can laugh until it gets close enough.

    So happy Shelley and the little ones got to enjoy the festivities!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you had a fun day! I think I prefer the sound of yours to Shelley and the Grands, crowds are not for me *shudder*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Life is about enjoying things - whether its time oot n aboot with your family or friends, and laughter is the greatest gift of all - did you know that laughter is good for your health - of course you did Oma :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great day! Leave all that walking and crowd surfing to the young'uns and enjoy time with the hubby seeing beautiful trees and eating delicious food, my kind of day!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You and Sweet Man are just too adorable, my Oma Linda. Dan and I have very similar "Shazam" stories. LOL - The tales we could share. It sounds like everyone had a wonderful day filled with all that truly matters in life: Laughter and love while creating beautiful memories for the future. Warmest hugs sweetie. Mina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oma Linda, you make me laugh and smile! You and Sweet Man are too cute ;o) I think I will have to try a Shazam ;o) What a great day, everyone had! So happy ;o) Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. heheh, thanks for the laugh. Your story reminds me of a book I read, I believe it is titled The Widows Adventure. About two elderly women, one is blind and the other can't drive...I don't remember much about it except that the blind woman drove while the other told her what to do, "slow down, turn left, now stop..."

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh, sometimes the best drives have no exact destination, as always, pleased I came to the post so I could come along for the ride :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.