Sunday, December 1, 2013

1st Sunday in December

Like my friend, Magaly, good food plays a part in our celebration of the holidays.

My Mom's side of the family always made a Jam Cake, which is a rich dark spicey cake with nuts, strawberry Jam and currants, and two kinds of raisins in the batter. The cake is made by November 15, put in refrigerator for 5 days, then it is dredged with rum and wrapped in cheesecloth. It is then dredged in rum 3 more times before it is served on Christmas (although we do it on Solstice Eve), but not before it is iced with cream cheese and powdered sugar frosting and decorate with red and green cherries.

From my Father's side of the family, we always make posole and red chile to eat on Christmas Eve along with tamales and tortillas. The new addition to this recipe is Tres Leches cake. Margaritas are the drink of the evening and my favorite are Blue Margaritas. This is about the only time I have anything to drink all year.

Just like most folks we have cookies that must be made or it isn't the holidays. Our favorites are biscochitos, pecan sandies, chocolate chocolate chip and pecan pie cracker candy. I usually make fudge to give to the neighbors.

I really like the idea of sharing our traditions etc and will participate in the next 3 Sundays with Ms. Misanthopia.

13 comments:

  1. Your jam cake sounds suspiciously like fruit cake only lots better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy hearing about people's favourite holiday food traditions. Sounds like you've got some particularly tasty ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish so much that I was your neighbor!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting mix between old British traditions and Southern American influences. I hope to see some pictures of these foods over the coming Sundays :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom's Almond Puff for breakfast served with screwdrivers or Mimosas. Spritz, pecan tarts and Mexican wedding cookies made while Christmas music plays at an above normal level of sound. And who knows what new traditions Denny and I will create now that we're back in a "sticks and bricks" home?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Biscochitos, I will have to look that one up.
    That rum cake sounds potent. We have had rum balls, and those were too strong for me!
    I am beginning to realize my family really did not cook much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It all sounds extremely yummy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow makes my mouth water at the mention of all those goodies. Our Sweet Potato casserole is my favorite. I will do Christmas at our house with my Mom's frozen fruit salad. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have Christmas cake, ridiculously moist (due to its 2 month whisky bath ;o) ), and then we have Christmas pudding, with lashings of brandy butter, and finally mince pies. I make the mince pies though, because my mum can't make pastry for shit ;o) Oh, and I also make the brandy butter *hic*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm joining you from Ms Misantropia's blog hop.
    I love the sound of that rum cake!

    Have a lovely day :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. MMMmmmm...Margaritas and Tres Leches cake? Now that's a tradition I can get into! Sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. now my stomach is growling.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Oma Linda! These all sound amazing! With us, it's mom's homemade buns, cinnamon buns, Christmas cake, turkey, ham, pumpkin pie, perogies, ok I better stop! LOL! Big Hugs ;o) Oh, I have to ask, the rich, dark, spicy cake, can you get drunk off of it????

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.