Wednesday, December 4, 2013

The "gratefulness tree" part one.....construction.

You may recognize this ladder from our Alice in Wonderland post where the Skater Dude Hatter meets Bad Alice in the corner of my backyard near the storage shed. I found this ladder at a junk dealer on the corner of we shouldn't be in this neighborhood and keep on driving. It was a whole big $5 and I was in heaven. I must say that SM on the otherhand was a little less impressed. When I brought home the shorter and cuter version and had him put my dragon weathervane on top he began to "cotton" to the new residents of the back yard. But only by a hairs breadth.

Next came the thievery of our altar made from pieces sent to us by April Ross a year ago last fall, Judy Stearns the summer of the huge box of pinecones before that and Gail, At the Farm and stuff we had here from years of my preoccupation of rocks, naturals of all kinds and shiny pieces of glass and sparkleys etc. We of course at the time thought it was a sad thing....but in reality it was a great thing and gave my grandchildren the faith in fellow humans that they needed and deserved.

Remember I hadn't taken any photos because we were going to bless the altar the next morning and POOF, it was gone.

Since then we have received tons of wonderfulness from fabulous caring folks from all over the world who saw our vision of being grateful to the universe and wanting to show it.

Here is the humble beginning of our gratefulness tree. I hope you will follow the posts for the next few days as I share what is the gem of my heart, the best of human nature and one helluva cool looking decoration for the holidays and beyond.

The ladder was equipped with weathered boards from Restore, Habitat for Humanities, orphan board stash. Eye hooks to hang jars, sewing machine bobbins for ornament hangers and  beer, soda bottle caps and paper clip garland are all made from stuff we had on hand. And then we decked out the ladder with cast iron stars from my collection of way too many things for someday. The jars are also from that same stash and some of them are marked 1947, 1949 and 1952. I only used jars with zinc tops or baled glass tops. But the jars were the last things I added as everyone who sent me something got their own jar and photos of the contents......to be seen later.

Ready, set..............gratefulness tree step one. More to come tomorrow, if Blogger's in the mood that is.
Smooches and Squoozes, Oma Linda

10 comments:

  1. This looks like it's going to be wonderful. Can't wait for the next installment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of work and am most impressed with beginnings - in anticipation of each hour of work into your gratefulness tree - step one. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is much more interesting than a boring Advent Calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, a very interesting beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHHAHAHHAHHA, Stephen! My thought exactly...this is SO THRILLING!!! Oh I cannot wait to see the progress..I LOVE IT already!! And this is the first time I have ever had a glimpse of SM! And I like seeing handsome, smiling RY scooting and helping. This tree is the most BEAUTIFUL symbol of LOVE at Christmas (Anytime!). A Sensational piece of Magic and Friends, Family and Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oma Linda, this is going to be so special! I have goose bumps! Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to see this altogether. A beautiful beginning and a message for all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is seriously awesome. I marvel at your creativity and all the wonderful ideas you come up with. This sounds like it could be a very meaningful and moving family tradition. Bright blessings, Bird

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.