Sunday, June 22, 2014

Thinking about past summer fun...........



Blogger has lost it's mind. I've been trying to post this for 3 days. Sorry no photos, and crazy spaces after paragraphs......enjoy??????


What now seems like a lifetime ago, I used to accompany middle school and high school critters to a fabulous camp down south of where we live. It is located in the Sacramento Mountains and is, well, like heaven on earth. It is so beautiful and peaceful. Yes, I did say peaceful. Even with all the goings on of the aforementioned critters there was still time for the adults to sit on the broad porches of the dormitory style rustic cabins and talk and laugh and get to know each other. We came to that camp from all over the state of NM and some parts of Texas. I will forever be grateful for my "summer camp" experiences as an adult because I was a chicken as a child and would never attend any camp. I sure missed out on a lot of crazy stuff, let me tell you from an adults viewpoint.



I don't know exactly how many of us there were at any one session but the place was crawling with activity and the camp staff managed to provide all of us with great accommodations and great food and for some a life changing experience.




I'm going to share with you the high light of the camping week. For us oldies but goodies it was the dessert on Friday night. For the critters it was the "dance". The teens were a mess as you can well imagine. And I kinda miss the teenage angst and the creativity and how they wrapped me around their grubby little fingers every time. I learned so much and most of it I can't share with you because, well....it's either gross or on the inappropriate side of life, both of which were always in easy supply at camp. But don't think I didn't have heart felt moments and a ha experiences because I did. Some of my favorite people in life were those kids, who are now grown and have kids of their own (life is lovely like that, pay back and all, tee hee).





But I am more than willing to share the Friday night dessert recipe. Apple Crisp. Not just any apple crisp but the best crisp I have ever tasted and it is so easy. Just think of 2 and you already have the amount on most of the ingredients.




For the crisp:
2 cups of sugar
2 cups of flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
2 eggs, beaten






Combine the dry ingredients and whisk together (or sift if you choose). Then add the 2 beaten eggs. I always use my hands to combine the dry ingredients and the eggs. It's messy and wonderful. Mix until it looks like corn meal. Then set aside.


For the filling:
2 cans apple pie filling and pour into a 9 x 13 pan. Cover with the "corn meal" mixture.


For the topping:
1/2c sugar with 1teaspoon of cinnamon
1 to 1/2 sticks of butter melted



Pour the melted butter over the "corn meal" and then sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar.



Bake 35 to 45 minutes in a 350 degree oven or until the top is golden brown and crunchy. Let rest for 30 minutes before scooping into a bowl. We always top ours with ice cream or whipped cream.


As you can see from the pictures I am a messy baker and I take creative license with this recipe and I use fresh, in season fruit too. This crisp has 1 lb of strawberries sliced and 1 small container of blackberries along with 5 white fleshed peaches sliced. I combine the fruit with 3/4 cup of sugar to which I have added 1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste and 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract. I will bake the crisp for 30 minutes and then add almond slivers and return the crisp to the oven for 10 minutes to toast the almonds. I didn't use cinnamon sugar but rather I added  turbinado sugar. I love the crunch and the texture of the sugar and the almonds.


Every time I make this crunch I think of all the fun I had (better late than never) at summer camp.


I hope you will try this crisp with your favorite fruit. Smooches and Squoozes, Oma Linda

15 comments:

  1. I'll have to try it. but Blogger is acting crazy. For days now it will only show me the most recent post of the blogs I follow, only one, on the dashboard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, blogger is the devil sometimes. Only today did it let me begin to comment on this post. It hasn't let me in months. What is up with technology, right??????

      Delete
  2. Mmmm, I love crisp and this sounds delish. I never went to summer camp as a kid either. My parents couldn't afford it. So I went to Vacation Bible School instead at a local evangelical church because it was free. Thanks to its annual Bible verse memorization contest, I have a voluminous knowledge of the Bible today. Just what every good pagan needs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Debra, I think that every responsible pagan should know the basic tenets of most of the worlds religions. It's irresponsible to assume things about others without knowing what their basic truths are. I have taught my grands all I know about Christian, Buddhist, Islam, Hindu and Jewish traditions. We also have attended services for all of the above. It makes sense to be informed. So I think you are an excellent student of life. Good on you.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you have those wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Now I wish I could find a camp for my grands so that they could experience all the BS and life lessons. Maybe next year.

      Delete
  4. I understand your enjoyment of camp as an adult. I worked one summer as head counselor for a camp in Maine. One of my best summers ever.
    Rats, I am on a diet again but I will bookmark the recipe for when I backslide sometime in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard from lots of adults that had both childhood and adult experiences and they all say that being an adult at camp was better. I agree, it was a spectacular experience.

      Delete
  5. Well, the wonky blogger probs cheated me out of a photo, which is just as well... I just used my only fresh fruit to make a blueberry cobbler (which didn't turn out well, btw) and I'm sure that if I saw a pic of yours, I would be out harvesting pine bark or oak leaves to try to make something, anything to resemble a crisp. The recipe woke my sweet tooth with a vengeance, lol.

    I only went to a Girl Scout DAY Camp once, due to monetary and over-protective- parent issues, so I would have loved to go to summer camp at ANY age. I was lucky enough to go camping on the beach in my twenties (your footprints in the sand glowed in the dark) and mountain camping with my daughter and her boyfriend in HER twenties (could write a sit-com about THAT trip), but I still feel a little cheated by not getting to go to any GROUP camp... sounds wonderful). HEY! Maybe we need to organize a Campin' Grannies group! Sign me up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great idea. We could really have a blast. I hope you're gonna enjoy this recipe because it is yummilicious for sure.

      Delete
  6. I'm printing out this recipe for Mrs. Chatterbox right now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you are going to love it. So unhealthy but delish.

      Delete
  7. I never had opportunity to go to summer camp, not as a child or as an adult. We did use to go camping though as a family and that was fun but of course not the same. Sorry for your troubles with blogger. I just posted to my blog with no trouble at all. I use Firefox, in case that makes any difference. Your apple crisp recipe sounds delicious and decadent. I'll bet it would be good with rhubarb too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Mother made the best Apple Crisp in all of our fair land when I was a child. I always remember her dishing it out and my mouth is drooling just thinking about it. I did not inherit her baking/cooking skills, so never even attempted to make it. Your Apple Crisp sounds delish and summer camp - marvelous. I used to go to Guide Camp every summer - AAh the memories. Have a wonderful day

    ReplyDelete
  9. That crisp sounds so good ;o) My mom makes a yummy one too ;o) As she says now ,Stacy, if you want to cook, please do! LOL! Maybe I will surprise her with yours ;o) Camp sounded great ;o) Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.