Saturday, July 5, 2014

A magickal happening at Casa de Cuckoo, report 5 July 2014.........

I can only hope that you have had a sparkling good and safe 4th.


I have been away for awhile and will give explanation at a later time, but right now I have to tell you that magick has come and danced in my faery garden yet once again.


Sweet Man was out doing my watering job for me this morning in all three of growing areas. He started with the fae garden and was delighted to see something he had never personally observed but had heard about at length from me.


He saw a Momma turtle laying a clutch of gorgeous pearly white eggs into a very deep hole that she worked on through the night. By the "rockets red glare" our sweet, oldest Momma turtle went into her nesting trance and labored through the night to dig the safe hole for her eggs. By the time Sweet Man arrived to view the scene she had finished the opening and was depositing her eggs. By the time I woke up, which was fairly late for me, she had already begun the process of not only covering but tamping the soil back so that it looks as though she had never disturbed the site at all. Turtles are so talented at disguising their existence. I am always amazed at what magicians they are.


Turtle eggs laid at this time of year usually hatch in the ground, over winter and then the little ones come out in the spring. But they may be urged to come out in the fall if the weather is warm for a longer than usual length of time. All eggs in the same clutch are the same sex. If it is hot and dry, then the offspring will be male. If the weather is milder and wetter then more Momma turtles will be hatched. Only 1 out 3 eggs in the wild usually survive. In our backyard, we usually see triples or twins. But we very seldom ever see where the egg hole is. Pssssst, but now we have a clue.


We have a couple of prime locations that we find baby turtles near, but this was a new location and it may be that that is why when I have planted flowers there, they never grow. But now we know and will keep watch over the new nursery.


I know it is not a thrill for many but for the Cuckoos, it was a day of jubilation and hope. Sweet Man brought me a bouquet of lavender and told me to follow him. The grin on his face was priceless. When he told the grands and they took the walk to let them see, they were so excited about the arrival of yet another group of wandering babies covered in shells.


I took no pictures. It seemed an invasion of a beautiful moment that was given to us as a family when looking towards the future with hope is the most important thing in which we can participate.


So now I've shared this magick with you and hope it brought you a smile. xoxo Oma Linda

11 comments:

  1. Seeing those turtle eggs in their nest had to be exciting. I'm excited just thinking about it. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful, magical, exciting event! I loved reading this. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to hear about the eggs and the baby turtles! It seems very exotic to me. And yes, magical indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nature gave Sweet Man and gift to present to his Lady and his little loves. I'm very happy you took no pictures. The moment should be yours... Besides, we get to bathe in the bright beauty shown by the imagery of your description!

    Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delightful find. Too bad you missed the deposit but now you know where they are and can hope to see the hatching. I use to volunteer with the Game and Fish in Florida and went on several turtle patrols. The sea turtles bury their eggs on the beach and when they hatch, the young uns head towards the glow of the moon. The condos and all their lights on the beach confuse the babies and if not found will head the wrong way and end up stuck against the seawalls as prey Our job was to bucket the wayward babies and the G&F would keep them safe for a while, then release them to increase survival rates. Love that you have your own turtle nursery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful. Big Mama prowls around the backyard digging holes. It's been so long since we had a male I know that the few eggs she lays are infertile but she she goes through the process anyway. In years past she has had a hard time digging a hole because the ground was so hard from the drought. Plenty of rain this year so she has had an easier time of it. She was out digging yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very special and sweet ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness - what a gift to have a mama turtle trust your lovely garden for her nursery! I hope you'll be able to spot them when they emerge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is magical to me too! How exciting to know where the nest is and to be able to anticipate the hatch! Hope all is well over at Casa de Cuckoo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very magical ;o) What a beautiful gift ;o) Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the new family members!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.