Monday, December 21, 2015

And the wheel keeps turning................

As a small child, I had a overwhelming feeling about the charting of the sun and moon and their miraculous cycles. I was much more interested in the celestial happenings than many of my classmates. I always wanted to know the whys of the sky.


I got a book called "The How and Why book of the Sky" when I was 10 and have been a right lunatic ever since.

So for me the eclipses, the falling stars of winter and summer, the cycle of Mother Moon and the changing of the seasons are not just mere happenings but old friends seen with child like wonder, still.

The solstices, equinoxes, the celebrations of the wheel of the year are my course and hope. I have passed that love and respect to my daughter and the grands and shared it with Sweet Man for over 40 years. And I must say that the observance of the Winter Solstice has to be one of my 8 favorites. Cheeky old broad, since there are only 8 ritual celebrations on the wheel, 13 moons, 4 seasons and lots of surprises from Mother Nature in all and everyone of the passages of time.

Last night ( a night early) we gathered round our mini bonfire to tribe ourselves with Nature. I love what my grands bring to the ceremony. I never had that opportunity as a child because I was raised in a traditional family whose observance of holidays was dictated by a church not nature. RyLeigh loves ritual, of course he does, he is after all my birthday twin. Gerea always has an artist's eye and animal lovers heart and brings that to the circle. Shelley has a practical yet romantic bent to her additions. Joe always adds a quiet elegance to his observance of the turning of the wheel. And me, oh I'm the bossy old broad and head village idiot and serve as the moderator of the wisdom passed along.

The very cold winter night's sky gave us the blessing of twinkling stars, the moon's almost full light (don't forget that Christmas Eve is the full moon) and a bright and cheer filled time to spend just enjoying nothing but the firelight, each other and our relationship with everything. Stardust is a part of all of us and we rejoiced.









As you can see, the gnomes, elves and fae have invaded our home in our decorations for the season.

Yule Blessings, Merry Solstice, Happy Christmas and Feliz Navidad my lovelies. Pray for Peace and Goodwill towards all that surrounds us.

Smooches and Squoozes, Oma Linda

9 comments:

  1. Lovely, sweet post, Linda. Wishing you and your beautiful family a wonderful Christmas. Happy Solstice and hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea that we're all made of stardust and connected to something much greater than ourselves. Take care and Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Winter solstice blessings to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so wonderful. I don't know the eight but I do celebrate and love nature every day. I think our beliefs are much the same just I'm not as educated about it...I just feel it. Isn't it amazing?!

    Happy everything to you and your loving family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading about your celebration with your family, so different from my own ways. But instead of your rather colorful words describing yourself, I put forth these: "Wise and gracious elder and head mystic" - however hee hee, I do think "cheeky" should stay as a descriptor -- "Cheeky lovely dame" I think that's a good description!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely post! Happy everything to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are about as diametrically opposed to me as a person can get. not in our beliefs but in our feelings of ritual.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! You always make my heart smile! Happy Yule and Merry Christmas! Love, peace, happiness, and Big Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Winter Holidays are never the same without gnomes! ;-)

    Happiest Winter Holidays to you, too, Oma Linda! ♥

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.