Friday, December 25, 2015

Finally, it's over already.....................

lookie, Mommy's the shortest.
It's not that I don't love the presents, the special food, the time spent with family & friends, it just that I am like my grands.........I have so little patience when it comes to some impending event that it is always a relief when the stress is gone. I used to view it as "let down" but not anymore. I'm just a happy camper that that bit is done and we can move on.

looks like an eye sharing down at us all
Christmas eve at the Cuckoos was a fun affair. We had red and green chili, pinto beans and green chili chicken and red chili beef tamales, with homemade biscochitos for supper. Then we hit the road to see the farolitos and lumiarias (trying to stay PC with my New Mexico homies by not calling them one or the other but both). We opted out of the usual Country Club and Old Town tours and cut out like the rebels we are in search of new and different.

obviously a UNM Lobo fan

There is a great little enclave of adobe houses off of Old Coors Blvd, deep in the South Valley and the neighborhood association opted out of the famous City Bus tours. So that's where we went. It is so magickal and quiet. Peaceful and gives you a sense of awe. No Christmas lights, just candles in sand inside brown paper bags. With the charm of the full moon, it was an awesome show of beauty.

Then not too far from home is a neighborhood that has had tons of lights ever since I was a kid, back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth. This is the best lighted house of the bunch.

live Santa on the rooftop on the right throwing candy canes to the kids
Here is Casa de Cuckoo, simple not too overstated, I think.


The gnomes who greet our visitors
The grands were not up too early and we had a very subdued present opening, with not a budget breaking array of I love you presents. GK now knows she is a grown up because she got underwear for Christmas, but is was Victoria Secret. Ry got more DS games and Papa got a cool T shirt and a Kindle Fire. I was gifted with Wizard of Oz thingies and Shelley got jewelry and a pretty mirrored jewelry box. No national debt holidays for the Cuckoos but so much more than we even needed.



This has been a holiday of new recipes and new ways to celebrate. Last night was my Hispanic heritage foods, this morning it was my southern roots. We had biscuits and gravy and scrambled eggs. Tonight Christmas dinner will be a standing crown roast, twice backed potato casserole, broccoli pea casserole and southern Jam Cake. That's for the Irish, Scottish and English parts of my heritage. RyLeigh said he was glad that it was "free range" lunch, where everyone would feed themselves, because he could make it All American by eating hot dogs. Gotta give it to him, he does have a point.


Merry Christmas my friends, hope the holiday season only brings good things and happiness.

xoxo Oma Linda

9 comments:

  1. merry merry to you and yours my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas to you and yours. I still experience that let down feeling.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your holiday celebrations were wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas to one and all at Casa de Cuckoo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like it was a fun time, and I know what you mean about being relieved when some big pending event is finally over!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a wonderful Christmas at the Casa. Love the bunny slippers on that gnome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely read :D ...and now you have snow! You have been truly spoiled this season. Wishing you many more smiles through 2016 :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Colourful and beautiful.. just like you. Love that t-shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww, what a beautiful Christmas!!! I loved reading everything!! The candles in the brown paper bags were gorgeous! Sending you and your loved ones, many blessings for 2016!! I love you guys!!! Thanks for always making me smile! ( I have to tell you, my mom is less and less for celebrating around the holidays. I still do my special things. I guess life changes. I told my mom, when I have a place of my own, I'm going to have a pink fairy tree! LOL! Oh well, as long as everyone is healthy, that is the main thing!)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.