Wednesday, September 28, 2016

just letting you know............

okay sports fans. It's a done deal. The bite I encountered this summer was in fact a Black Widow Spider bite. Did you know that the BW bite is more venomous than that of a rattlesnake? Who knew?
As much as I hate spraying for "bugs", we did have an exterminator come and spray the front yard for these critters
Did you know they can administer a blood test that checks the level of venom titer in your blood? Neither did I. If the titer is high after a prolonged period since the bite, then your body hasn't been able to get rid of the venom. That is exactly my deal.  Lucky ducky me.

I mean that sincerely, because I now know that I have a severe magnesium deficiency initiated by the poison from the bite (and the compilation of all the other bites as well as my diminished immune function) and that may be the cause of my body's lymph system not being able to process the poison out of my system and explains my brain fog, lethargy, swelling and pain. Ta dah.

Do you remember when you were a kid and you had a belly ache and your mom gave you Milk of Magnesia. It always cleaned out your plumbing, right? Well magnesium taken orally will do the same thing and that's not a good thing. It actually strips your bowels of the good fauna from "cleaning the plumbing". I found this out the hard way a few months back when I was researching and read my symptoms in an article about magnesium deficiency. So I took OTC pills. Not a good idea.

But do you see that my mind/body thinking were in line with what was/is wrong with me? My body was telling me what I needed. I may have mistakenly gone about curing myself with the wrong type of magnesium but none the less, I'm not such a goofy old broad after all.

Now it's probiotics, magnesium oil (which can be rubbed on or sprayed on my skin), massage and a combination of essential oils that help reduce the swelling and help me heal from this misadventure. My lymph system needs a boost. I was also told I needed to be on steroids to help my body heal but that in and of itself has caused so many other difficulties when I have ingested steroids in the past that I am not following that advice. But then I have always been and will always be a rebel without a clue.

I'm hopeful and see some changes to my difficulties already. Within 24 hours of using the magnesium spray I have reduced swelling and decreased pain in my joints. Within 2 hours of the lavender, tea tree, peppermint, eucalyptus, lemon, and ginger in coconut oil rub, my "cankles" where reduced and my feet looked almost like human feet instead of elephant feet.

I found out that I am allergic to black widow spider bites, wasp stings, red ant bites and mosquito bites as well. A bee sting might just do me in as well.

I never really thought about it very much. When I was younger I got bitten by a black widow and it knocked me on my butt. I remember my Mom saying she thought I was having a heart attack.Took a benadryl and I was better. When I was stung by wasps while sweeping on our back porch when Shelley was in high school, I was very sick with what I thought was the flu afterwards. Mosquitos bites have always produced huge welts on my body compared to my families "bug bite" size sites of puncture. And a couple of years ago I got bit while standing nearby a hill of red ants while we were out to an event and then I couldn't walk for a few days because of the swelling in my ankles and feet. But I never put all of those incidences together as a whole or as a cause for concern when combined.

With the help of the blood test, I know know that I need to be careful not to put myself into a situation where the creepy crawlers might have access to me. My immune system is already so compromised because of my Mother's fascination with our family physician and all the antibiotic shots that I received as a child, and my unlucky encounters with many poisonous critters (I never thought of spiders, bugs and flying things as more than just an annoyance) that another one of these events and I could be in even more trouble, health wise.

So here's to fast action next time, taking care of me right now and not just thinking that I am invincible anymore and must be careful. Not only that but I need to pay attention to my surroundings.

Thanks so much for the well wishes, advice and love sent my way.

Smooches and Squoozes, Oma Linda

14 comments:

  1. Well, I'm so glad that you've got a diagnosis for that bite and a treatment plan to make things better! Black Widow spider, eh? Yowza! We don't have those in Canada (too cold) but sometimes they hitch a ride on banana or other fruit shipments from warm countries and then they bite someone here. I hope you soon feel all better again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you're doing better. Bugs find me very tasty and have caused me problems over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that was scary. I have heard that insect reactions increase with each exposure. Might not hurt to have an Epipen handy. Of course they are horribly expensive thanks to the gouging pharmaceuticals but you can get coupons on the Internet to help out. I'd check with your doc to see if you need one handy.
    Keep getting better gal and hope this will soon be behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. holy cow woman. glad you are finding what you need to get better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh! I'm sorry for your terrible reactions/symptoms, but I'm glad you are on the road to recovery.
    I get humongous mosquito bites that seem to distort the area that got bit...I've never thought it might be an allergic reaction. hmm, something to think about.
    Once, about 5 or 6 lifetimes ago, I was getting ready to barbecue and I lifted up a large package of charcoal briquettes to pour into our grill. once that was done and I'd set the bag back down, one of my sisters asked where I had bought the spider necklace..
    I had a HUGE brown spider on the hollow of my neck. I froze and it pranced off of me down my arm and into whatever Hell had spawned it, lol I was very lucky as my dad's old house had a bit of a Recluse problem.

    I hope and pray you feel better soon. So happy you got the place fumigated, can't be too careful my friend.

    Hugs hugs hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear you went to the doctor and that you're being treated. What an ordeal! Maybe I need to think about an exterminator, too. Thanks for the update and the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you are feeling better.

    I look forward to your recipe.

    Heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. O my goodness!!! So glad you finally found out what was ailing you(even if nature did use a sledgehammer). Fast healing and loving hugs XXX

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not really afraid of spiders. But I don't want them near me. And I always arguing with my husband when I am begging him to take outside any little spider creeps into our house. But he loves them and argues that they will catch other insects like that is a reason to have them around! I am so reading him your last two posts! Take care and feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So good to know they've figured out what's wrong. And the cure seems to be working, indeed, for even the tone of your post sound more cheery. Keep on keeping on. And keep on keeping away from bugs. I know they are pretty and all, but their venom obviously doesn't play well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad they figured out what the problem was and you are healing. I was just reading an article about magnesium and wondering (based on the health problems it can cause) if I have low magnesium. I'm planning to ask my doc a test for it. I've had two encounters with black widow spiders but never been bitten. Hoping you are better with each day!
    blessings
    ~*~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, please take care of you! I am so happy everything got figured out!! You have been through so much Oma Linda! That was very interesting about the magnesium! Big Hugs! And, please pay attention to your surroundings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OK you ball of awesomeness (well & a tad of Black Widow venom tossed in) I actually read about that magnesium Facebook post you shared and need to maybe get some tablets esp for my babe Trin as she has many symptoms you talked about, I had been chucking Vitamin D at both my girls, but this makes sense, magnesium deficiency, so pleased you sorted it, but I already knew you were smart in ways others weren't ;) ... I think caster oil may have been what was forced down throats to 'clear the plumbing' in Oz 50 years ago... OK, if you ever travel to Oz, wear chainmail, really, f-ing mosies so big, spiders um yes, ummm funnelwebs, redbacks & snakes, we don't worry about the pythons (although Milo our wonderdog got bit really only hurt his ego) but brown & black snakes (sun themselves on driveway every now & then) we are surrounded by bush... and ticks, nasty buggers & freakin March flies (I come up in welts) red ants, midgies, and I won't mention what's in the ocean (Fraser who surfs everyday won't let me ;) ) So did I get off track, uggh yes, but so happy to know you are on the mend dear Oma, and you know I have a painting to do for you, and thank goodness you are patient... but I have been thinking... and will start soon... LOVE YA xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm catching up here and though this is an older post, I just wanted to say that I'm glad you are recovering! There are so many black widows where I live, I'm constantly having to watch where I put my hands in the garden.

    Also, I love the liquid (topical) magnesium too. Wonderful stuff!

    Continued healing and strength-building to you!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.