Saturday, November 13, 2010

A day off for Sweet Man

When Joe has a whole day off, we do try to make it a day when he doesn't have to do honey do's. Although the list has become very long since he took the new job. And my new honey who does is Shelley, bless her heart. So at least one day a week Joe and I get outta town and do something together. Thursday's foray into the world of trains and children was a fun one.

We started off the morning doing some patriotic youtube looking and the kids had questions about what it was like to become a Marine and a million and one different things. We made it to the Veterans Ceremony in plenty of time to see the fly overs of both jet and then prop planes, saw the civil war and WWI uniformed folks, as well as uniformed troops stationed here at Kirtland AFB, the great WWII, Korea and Vietnam veterans, and then the young vets of the Gulf War and Afganastan and Iraq, the color guard of the states and then the presentation of the colors.

All of the patriotic things associated with Veteran's day leaves me a blubbering idiot. Always cry for the Star Spangled Banner and the Pledge. The kids stared at me at the appointed time knowing I was going to cry and gave me the look like I was from another planet. That's okay, they know by now, it is a true, dyed in the wool affliction and they just expect it. We would have stayed for more of the ceremony, but it was pretty obvious that we were on an uphill climb with staying for anything more than that so.....we split. Make our trek to Belen, trained, had lunch and then went for a drive on NM 47 towards Mountainair. Not exactly the most scenic route but we were on a quest. Wanted to see a part of the state we had yet to see.

The kids were great with stories, games, and the usual...."he's touching me stuff, she's looking at me junk". Saw some flora not much fauna. It was a gorgeous cloudless blue sky when we started off but by 3 pm the storm clouds began gathering and we headed back for Burque. We had been promised a snow storm in the higher elevations but we were disappointed. 

I have bored you with pictures of the northern part of NM so now I will show you some old timey buildings in Belen. Don't ya think I need to buy this one and fix it up and live upstairs and run a fabulous something downstairs? The train yard is only about 4 blocks away and the A&W is 5 blocks the other way. Belen is a cute little town which has also been so affected by the downturn in the economy. Did see some of Mr. Obama's ready to do projects in progress though.

What is behind the Green Door? There was a song when I was a kid about something behind a green door.


This is across the street from The Green Door Building
Belen is Spanish for Bethlehem..........all their Christmas decos for the town were already up. There is a pergola in the middle of town all decked out for Christmas with a huge round greenery decoration with a sparkling red bow at the top. You and I would call it a Christmas wreath, RyLeigh said, "hey Oma, did ya see the Christmas Moon"? Does that tell ya what he sees because of me? I aksed are you sure it's the moon. He says, yes Oma, it's the mother moon, see how round she is? love it. So poor little critter, forever more we will refer to round greenery encircled decorations as Christmas Moons in our family. Wanta get in on the ground floor of a new tradition????????????

14 comments:

  1. ~i l♥ve it...l♥ve it...l♥ve it!!! mother moon for christmas~yule...here we come! wishing you and yours a wonderful weekend ahead...much l♥ve and light upon you all~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking us with you... sounds like a wonderful day. By the way, I would have been blubbering right there next to you. :)

    We love Belen too... they have the cutest Christmas parade (much better than Albuquerque's!)... I'll have to look to see when it is. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your stories, Mother Moons for Christmas, sounds good to me. have a great weekend. hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just lovely. I wonder if children these days know The Pledge of Allegiance and "The Star Spangle Banner?" I recall saying and singing it every morning outside our Catholic school playground where the flag flew several feet above us. No matter the weather, we said it out there.

    Winter is here and my SM broke some doo-hicky off the heater, so last night was a "3 Dog Night!" Chihuahua's not included! Not bad when one still has bouts with the hot flashes!! Oey vey!! No snow here, but hope the freeze killed all those pesky allergens...my sinus' are doing a happy dance!! LOL

    Take care.

    Loves ya,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love the term Christmas Moon! I may just have to start that tradition around here :D Sounds like a wonderful day....and I really do love that building...the possibilities abound!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you take the time to get away on Joe's day off, we try to do the same thing around here, it's too overwhelming for them to work ALL the time. I'm the same too, complete blubbering idiot with patriotism and all, who can help it?!
    Never tire of seeing images of NM either, so beautiful there!
    Enjoy your week ~ ♥Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! Mother Moon will be at our house for Yule and Christmas now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to know someone else loses it at those ceremonies. I can hold it together till "Taps" then I'm a goner.
    Love Mother Moon. No wreath will ever look the same to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwww... I love it ~ Christmas Moon. All things "moon" are great and I will happily add Christmas Moon to my list of lovelies!!! Thank you, Ry!
    The building with the green doors is FABULOUS, Linda. When I see old empty buildings like that, I go into daydream mode and think of all the things I would LOVE to do with it.... art studio, specialty gallery and loft. OH, YES!!! Just call me "dreamer". If only I were younger....
    ♥ audrey

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely think you *need* that building with the green door. It has so much potential for something cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun it would be to own a building like that Linda. I can see turning one part of it into a studio and the rest into living space. That to me would be regal. Thanks for the pix, I always like to see what NM looks like. Some day I will take a train there, rent a car and just do idle time and fun time. Me and my hubber's that is. Have a great week and thx for sharing. Hope your husband enjoyed his day off. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You all have the most fun outings! Wish I could tag along. I guess I do in a virtual way. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.