Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Veteran's Day 2010

“Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I’m not ashamed of that, never have been, never will be.” — John Wayne

There is a huge rock near a gravel pit on Hwy. 25 in rural Iowa. For generations, kids have painted slogans, names, and obscenities on this rock, changing its character many times. A few months back, the rock received its latest paint job, and since then it has been left completely undisturbed.


It's quite an impressive sight. Be sure to scroll down and check out the multiple photos, all angles of the rock.

I thought the flag was draped over the rock, but it's not. It's actually painted on the rock too.


Here's the artist:

Ray 'Bubba' Sorensen

Thank you and what a great tribute to our veteran's.

11 comments:

  1. Wow - Impressive. The young man has some serious talent.

    I am glad that they have left the rock alone. It shows such great respect.

    Happy Veteran's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing talent. And yay for the young locals for recognizing that the rock is now out of bounds because it is a masterpiece.

    Also, thank you for the award, my dear. I truly appreciate the fact you think I deserve it. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen that before but it deserves being seen again. Thanks. What a great kid.
    Can't argue with John.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ~i have never seen this and look forward to sharing it with my little this day and my father! it really is quite unbelievable...and that flag...wow! thank you for sharing...honoring and remembering...also your words yesterday...sigh...i always appreciate the time and love you share with me...much l♥ve and light upon you always~

    ReplyDelete
  5. good stuff...so important to remember and that rock will help with that for a long time....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing!!!! It's really great to see that our youth still care.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one great rock and a powerful message!

    ReplyDelete
  8. An amazing job for a great cause

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is exceptional and I love the fact that it hasn't been touched since this was painted. Most of the men in my family served at some point throughout history, some during war time. So thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.