Thursday, July 1, 2010

Happy 4th of July

Next to Halloween, the 4th of July is my favorite holiday.






Not so much the fireworks but the parades, displays of unabashed patriotism, and the flag everywhere. I have always been a sucker for a fife and drum kinda hometown show of love of country. Now we live in a big "little" city and there are lots of neighborhoods that have events. There are many smaller communities within a couple of hours drive that really know how to do the 4th....floats with boy and girl scouts, the 4H and FFA and BBQ, corn on the cob, pie eating contests, Ms. Firecracker crownings. I love America. So there, I said it. I love to watch all kinds of folks celebrating being American. 3 years ago we went to Civic Plaza to the swearing in of new citizens. We didn't know anyone but it was a reminder of how special the US is.

That being said.....we have had to, for the past few years, search for the small town USA flavor to view. Not all that easy in this day and age. Too bad. Last year the kids on our street did a parade with wagons, bikes etc, but this year, no takers for the fun. So we will go to a friend who owns a business that is located really close to the Balloon Fiesta grounds where the biggest aerial fireworks display is always held. We don't have to fight the traffic, and will have a perfect view of all the big boomers.

Happy Fourth of July to my bloggie friends, XXOO says The Olde Bagg

7 comments:

  1. Back 'atcha!! Some stupid men's sports magazine again decided it was going to pick on El Paso again...we have the sweatiest, most illiterate, most unattractive men, fattest and now, we are 99 in least patriotic city in this country,,,put it where the sun don't shine!! Those icehole bastages have n ever been to a Diaz family 4th get-togther...we beaners can really show are patriotism!!!

    Anyway, have a great one!!

    LOve and goats,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  2. And a Happy Fourth to you, too, my friend. It is a delightful day. Love those decorations and the songs. Nice change.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I swear the first words out of my mouth when I saw the first pic' were "Hot dayum" - you really do it up right Momma, don'tcha? I LOVE it.

    vert word: unvent "Skippy is so happy she is in an unvent kind mood."

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and a very Happy Fourth to you too. Enjoy. Parade, store sales, barbecues at home. A salute to our country, The United States of America. No where else I'd rather be, but here at home.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that tree! It's just enough--not too much.

    Our town didn't do a big 4th of July parade (they save that for Labor Day) but they do a bang up fireworks/family games/picnicking afternoon/evening get together that was huge.

    Not quite sure what a town of 900 people does here, cuz I think they are exaggerating the 900 people.

    word vert: ousti The swarms of mosquitoes here are creating a lot of oustis on my arms and legs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your 4th of July Tree is AWESOME! I love it. Have a grand celebration!!!
    audrey

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE your American Pride tree!!! It's such a fabulous way to show your patriotism & it just looks soooo festive!
    For gals like us...I think our blood runs red, white & blue & I think that's awesome.
    Have a fabulous 4th Friend,
    Smiles...
    Susie

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.