Monday, August 23, 2010

The green eyed monster, both of them

When I was a kid, a million and 5 years ago, I was raised as an only child for the most part. My sister 13 years older than I, married and moved out of the house by the time I was in first grade. By that time my brother joined the Air Force and was also gone, so I was the only one at home.

So, as a youngster, I didn't experience sibling rivalry or competition. So having two grands circling almost every issue as to who will go first, who gets the most, who can do what when and for how long, well let's just say I am at a loss. As a teacher and couselor for kids, I did a Nancy Reagan and just said No. Cuz I could with those kids and then they went home to complain to their parents or each other or Whatever. But living with two very head strong, giant willed, cutie patooties has given me a whole new perspective on the green eyed monster.

Elphaba ain't got nothin' on me.
This picture is GK's eye. As I saw it recently...........ewwwwwwww. She is 10 going on 22. Great kid, good student, loves her family, and is 10 and coming into her own.......................if she lives to be 11.

6 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you are saying. I was an only child and my two boys were always bickering. They were 5 years apart. I realize now that my youngest, born September 30th, was born just as my elder son was off to school. He felt as if I were pushing him away.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe. As someone who grew up with a brother who is two years younger and a sister who is 10 years younger than myself, I've seen more than my fair share of sibling rivalry! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought the last issue of Psychology Today, because it had a story about sibling rivalry. It never ends ....it will always be....I know....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wallene and Squirrel are 5 years apart and for the most part get along pretty well - but I do get tired of Wallene wanting everything Squirrel has [as the oldest of course she gets to wear make up and have boyfriends etc] but on the reverse I grow weary of Squirrel telling me we spoil Wallene. Oh really? But that problem is solved. Squirrel's gone and we get spoil the pants off Wallene without her interference....heehee my evil plan is working. LOL

    I know the situation with Ry makes it harder - but as time passes they will grow closer - there is too much love in your household for them not to feel it and share.

    [love the pic' btw - cool graphic!]

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember sibling rivalry as being painful--- punches, pulled hair and once hitting my brother over the head with a shovel. Then there was the endless squabbling. Such fun for those in charge.
    Today, my brother and I are best friends. Hang in, you only have 10 more years of this.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment.